The Journey So Far – The Mysterious Number 80 Crantham Street (A Vampire's Tale)
![]() |
| Photo by Elizabeth Hunston |
When I first decided to adapt my short film script, The Mysterious Number 80 Crantham Street, into an audio drama, I knew it would be a very different creative experience. What I perhaps didn't appreciate at the time was just how collaborative the journey would become.
The project has developed steadily over the past few months. Following two script read-throughs and one-and-a-half rewrites, I finally reached a version of the story that felt ready to move into rehearsals. Each revision helped strengthen the characters, dialogue and pacing, bringing me closer to the story I wanted to tell.
One decision I made very early on was that I wanted the world of Crantham Street to feel as authentic as possible. Rather than relying on AI-generated voices, I chose to create original background soundscapes using real people. From busy offices and police station activity to a lively ladies' night out as they return from the pub and curious neighbours gathering outside during Alyssa Rogers' arrest, every background scene has been improvised by volunteers who generously gave up their time to help bring the story to life.
Those recording sessions have been one of the real highlights of the production. Friends, colleagues, members of the Florence Park Players and theatre friends all embraced the opportunity to become part of the world of Crantham Street. Their enthusiasm, creativity and willingness to throw themselves into each scenario have added an authenticity that simply couldn't be manufactured.
Alongside these background recordings, rehearsals with the principal cast have continued, allowing the characters to grow and the relationships between them to develop. It has been incredibly rewarding to hear the script come alive through the voices of such a talented cast.
The next stage of the journey continues with rehearsals for the two lead actors, Steve Haye and Ella Fryer-Smith, who play Paul and Alyssa Rogers. Following that, the full cast will rehearse on 16th August and again on 20th September before we finally head into the recording studio on 26th and 27th September.
Although there is still plenty of work ahead, it feels as though the finish line is now beginning to come into view. What started as an adaptation of a short film script is steadily becoming a fully realised audio drama, made possible by the generosity, talent and encouragement of everyone who has chosen to be part of the project.
I am enormously grateful to every actor, volunteer, friend and supporter who has helped along the way. I can't wait to share The Mysterious Number 80 Crantham Street with you once the final recordings are completed, and the first edited episode is ready for release. I hope the release date is at the end of this year or early 2027.
Additional note:
I've been asked several times who my audience is. The honest answer is that this isn't a big commercial project it's simply something I'm passionate about. I set out to create the kind of vampire story that I would enjoy listening to, and I hope others will enjoy it too.
So, if, like me, you love Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, True Blood, Ultraviolet (the 1998 British television series), What We Do in the Shadows, Being Human (UK), Tooth Pari: When Love Bites, Interview with the Vampire (both the film and television series), the Vampire Chronicles novels by Anne Rice, the BBC's Dracula by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat, or you have a soft spot for classic Hammer Horror, then there just might be something here for you.






Comments
Post a Comment